The Office of External Relations and Communications manages all global, national and many top-level branded advertising campaigns including our annual recruitment campaign to prospective students and their parents and influencers.
When developing an advertising or promotional campaign, we recommend you define the parameters of the campaign by asking yourself the following questions:
- Is it brand advertising for your college, department or entity? Is it for a specific event, sponsorship for an event, or something else?
- Who is your target audience?
- What do you want them to know?
- Is there a specific date or deadline?
- Which channels are necessary to distribute your message?
When designing your piece, we recommend the following:
- Use the appropriate University of Rhode Island logo.
- Adhere to the brand standards and visual guidelines.
- Use the brand color palette.
- Provide a specific point of contact, email, and URL for more information.
When purchasing advertising with state funds, you must work with the Department of External Relations and Communications to purchase the advertising through the master price agreement to ensure the most cost-effective pricing is realized.
The Director of Marketing and Communications must be the signator of the media authorization form prior to any purchase or placement of the media. The Department of External Relations and Communications must approve the creative before being placed.
When purchasing advertising with soft funds, you may place the media through your department; however, we request you receive approval of your creative through the Department of External Relations and Communications to ensure clear and consistent messaging and branding and to let us know your ad will be in the marketplace.
While we know many advertisement pieces will be custom, these guidelines will help you get started.
Heather Colby <firstname.lastname@example.org>