For Further Information
KINGSTON, R.I. – April 30, 2009 – With the themes of music and fashion intertwined, students of the textiles, fashion merchandising and design program rocked the runway during the sixth annual “Spring Splash” fashion show on April 25.
The show – held in the Memorial Union Ballroom – was titled “Rock the Runway” and featured more than 80 outfits designed by 18 students.
Senior Katherine Imswiler of Cumberland won first place – and a $1,000 prize – for her summer line titled, “Imsy.” It was the third time in four years that Imswiler has won first place in the fashion show. Imswiler also won the Audience Favorite Award, earning her a pair of Swarovski earrings.
Junior Ariel Patinkin of Providence took second place for her “Living Doll” line. Patinkin won $750 for her designs. Other winners were:
– Third Place: Sarah Sczepanski, senior, of Rowley, Mass. (prize – $500)
– Honorable Mention: Jennifer Robinson, senior, of Cranston (prize – $250)
– Honorable Mention: Stephen Gobewale of Providence (prize – Swarovski necklace)
In addition to the fashion show, the TMD department also gave out several scholarships. There were five winners of the department’s Splash Scholarships, each worth $1000. Those winners were:
– Nancy Tong, a junior from Glastonbury, Conn., who will study at Zhejiang University in Hanzhou, China from May 2009 through January 2010.
– Emily Pasooe, a sophomore from Forked River, N.J.
– Sarah Bolton, a sophomore from West Hartford, Conn.
– Despina Tsatsaronis, a junior from Upper Saddle River, N.J.
– Marissa Fisher, a junior from Long Island, N.Y.
Winners of the TJX Foundation Scholarships were:
– Michaela Kiley, a junior from Hope Valley.
– Katrina Meehan, a sophomore from Wakefield.
Kelly Poorman, a graduate student from Providence was awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the Weavers’ Guild of Rhode Island. Poorman is concentrating her studies on historic textiles and dress, and textile conservation.
For more URI news visit www.uri.edu/news