KINGTON, R.I. — Jan. 24, 2020 — The announcement of the nominees to the University of Rhode Island Board of Trustees is a pivotal moment in the continued transformation of the University. I appreciate the approach of Governor Raimondo and her team in this endeavor as they consulted with us to develop a list of potential Board members that represents diverse backgrounds and brings valuable expertise and experience to governance of the University.
The General Assembly had the vision and foresight to recognize the great value of creating an independent governing board entrusted with advancing the state’s flagship research university and its mission. We worked assiduously with Speaker Nicholas Mattiello, Senate President Dominick Ruggerio, Chairwoman Susan Sosnowski and legislative leaders in the 2019 session to establish this new governance structure that epitomizes the increasing national prominence and global presence of the University of Rhode Island and its growth in student success, enrollment, and research.
The University has continued to work with the Council on Postsecondary Education and will seek to maintain and enhance its close partnerships with the council and with RIC and CCRI, during and subsequent to this governance transition. The council and the board have shared responsibilities for our employees’ benefits as well as for the state’s higher education policy. We are thankful to the many council members who have supported the University and advocated to increase the state’s investment in public higher education.
As president, I look forward to supporting this group of impressive leaders as we continue to advance the success of the University and the impact of its educational and research programs, both locally and globally. The collective expertise, experience, and networks of this distinguished group will be critical assets to the University and to the State of Rhode Island. We plan to organize the first open public meeting of the Board following the completion of the Senate’s Advice and Consent process.
Nominees to the URI Board of Trustees:
- Susan Carson Petrovas ’92, co-founder and President of CDMI Magellan Rx
- Margo Cook ’86, President of Nuveen Advisory Services
- Michael D. Fascitelli ’78 H’08, founder of MDF Capital, Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Imperial Companies
- Charles Fogarty MPA’80, former Lieutenant Governor of Rhode Island
- Christine Heenan, President of Clarendon Group
- Richard S. Humphrey, Little Compton Town Solicitor
- Matthew Lenz ’11, Director of State Government Affairs for the Toy Association
- Roby Luna ’04, President, Aretec Inc.
- David Martirano ’91, Managing Partner of PJC
- Regina McCarthy H’18, former Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Michael F. McNally MBA’81 P’15, former president and CEO of Skanska USA
- Dr. Karina Montilla Edmonds ’92, University Lead for Google Cloud at Google Inc.
- Vahid Ownjazayeri, Chief Growth and Strategy Officer at AECOM
- Yahaira “Jay” Placencia ’01, Senior Vice President and Private Client Advisor with Bank of America Private Bank
- Cecilia Rouse, Dean of the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University
- Thomas Ryan ’75 H’99, former President and CEO of CVS, Chair of the URI Foundation and Alumni Engagement Board of Directors
- Armand E. Sabitoni ’73, General Secretary-Treasurer, LIUNA